Friday, January 13, 2012

FREAKY FRIDAYS


It appears 2012 not only has three Friday the 13's but each of them are exactly 13 weeks apart. So if you suffer from either friggatriskaidekaphobia or paraskevidekatriaphobia, I'd say you're SOL. I'm not particularly superstitious about Friday the 13th, however, I do believe bad luck exists if it happens to have a tag-along named 'self-fulfilling prophecy'. When I was a teenager there was a short period when I became convinced our family was cursed with bad luck. If you have enough folks (namely my siblings) telling you this, repeatedly, eventually you start to believe it. It all culminated down to the day we traced a noxious odor to our backyard and found vultures perched on our roof. Now, if that wasn't a bad omen, I didn't know what was. It was only later I realized that in life we make our own luck, good or bad. The only difference between the two is the way we choose to view any given situation. But I will admit this, if you pander to the idea of bad luck and are continually afraid to tempt fate, it's astonishing how quickly things start to spiral downhill with the first push.

No comments:

Post a Comment