Monday, January 9, 2012

A BAG OF TRICKS & APRON STRINGS


I'm always trying to track down the perfect apron. Believe me, it's not as easy as you think, which is why to date I don't own one. I once had a collection of vintage aprons, mostly feminine concoctions that were more frilly than functional. I'm not sure what happened to them. I've moved so many times, things have simply disappeared over the years. When it comes to baking, I prefer utilitarian aprons in soft, washable fabrics. And they have to be full-length as opposed to the waist aprons. I find ingredients end up on me just as much as they do in the mixing bowls, anywhere from my chin to my knees (don't ask.) I've always loved vintage fabrics, especially old french ticking, flour & feed sack cloths, and soft cotton prints. There's something about aged fabric washed a hundreds times, if not more... I like the idea of wearing something that was once lovingly worn or handled by someone else. It's more than just nostalgia. Sometimes, it feels like time traveling.

"cotton bags give you tested sewing fabric"

Back in the depression few things were discarded. The motto was "Repair, reuse, make do, and don't throw anything away." Big sacks of flour or livestock feed were repurposed by farm women and sewn into clothes, aprons, tea towels, diapers, table cloths, and more. The companies that created the flour and feed sacks soon caught on and started creating new prints as incentive for the women to buy more feed. Magazines and pattern companies soon began offering patterns that took advantage of the feedsack prints. A 1942 estimate showed that 3 million women and children of all income levels were wearing print feedbag garments.


I really like both the style and fabric on this french linen apron from alder & co. It comes in several colors but the rose is my favorite. It'd be even more perfect if it came in some of my favorites fabrics: vintage ticking, sackcloth, or cotton/muslim paisley print. Even though it's a waist apron I also love this sweet paisley apron with red piping. I heart most things with piping.

1. alder & co. french linen apron 2. via thefirstfew 3. vintage ticking & grain sacks 4. vintage French tea towels 5. covington black woven ticking, waverly pen pal parchment via online fabric store 6. 1950's paisley fabric 7. vintage cotton paisley apron

No comments:

Post a Comment