With the appearance of seasonal products such as Jet-Puffed Pumpkin Spice Mallows, Wrigley's Extra Pumpkin Spice Gum, Hershey's Kisses Pumpkin Spice candies, or Yoplait Light Pumpkin Pie Yogurt, one can't argue the popularity of pumpkin as a flavor trend. Comfort foods often influence flavor trends but did you know pumpkin spice can be mostly credited to Starbucks and their seasonal pumpkin spice latte?
It's no surprise other major retailers and food brands quickly joined the pumpkin craze. But how many of your impulse purchases, adorned in bright orange packaging and the alluring "limited edition" stamp, actually contain pumpkin? Very few. In truth, a great many pumpkin products lack a pumpkin note at all, connoting instead the spices associated with the pumpkin pie blend such as cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and clove.
Food trends come and go, but there will always be pumpkin pie. Skip the junk aisle and keep your pumpkin consumption to the Thanksgiving pumpkin pie, whether with a traditional recipe passed down from grandma, or one with a modern twist. With so many variations on this classic pie, there's no reason not to experiment.
Here's a pumpkin pie recipe with a modern twist from Goop. It looks divine.
Pumpkin Icebox Pie
9" frozen pie shell
8 oz package cream cheese, at room temperature
14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (we like to use a microplane)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup whipping cream for pie topping
- Bake pie shell according to package directions, let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, and canned pumpkin. Beat with a whisk or electric mixer until smooth.
- Add next six ingredients and stir until incorporated.
- Pour mixture into a cooled pie crust,and chill in the fridge overnight.
- To service, beat 1/2 cup whipping cream until it forms stiff peaks. Spread evenly over the top of your pie, and sprinkle with cinnamon.