ph: via sweetfineday
The following strawberry ice-box pie is perfect for cooling off on hot days. I slightly modified the original recipe from sweetfineday to make it gluten-free.
Fresh Strawberry Cream Pie (Gluten-Free)
1 1/3 cups gluten-free graham cracker crumbs (see below)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
6 tbsp melted butter
- Preheat oven to 300º F. Mix everything together by hand, and press firmly into a 10-inch springform pan. The crust should go up the sides of the pan about three inches. Bake in the oven for about 12 minutes, until it has firmed up a bit. Let it cool while you prepare the filling.
5 cups strawberries, washed and stems removed
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp gelatin powder, soaked in 1/4 cup cold water
- Roughly chop one cup of the strawberries and place in a small saucepan with the sugar. Cook until reduced to a puree. Remove from heat, then stir in the soaked gelatin. Mix the remaining strawberries, then immediately pour into the cooled crust. Spread them out so the top is level, then prepare the whipped cream topping.
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 tbsp powered sugar
1 tsp gelatin powder
2 tbsp milk
- Whip the cream and sugar to stiff peaks. Soak the gelatin in the milk for two minutes, then heat gently until dissolved. Gradually fold the whipped cream into the gelatin, then spread on top of the strawberries. Chill for several hours before removing from the pan and slicing.
Gluten-Free Graham Crackers (found on seriouseats)
1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
5 tbsp butter, cold
6 tbsp milk
3 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 350º F. In a food processor, combine dry ingredients. Pulse to combine.
- Add the butter. Pulse until flour mixture is coarse. No large pieces of butter should remain.
- Add milk and honey. Pulse until dough forms.
- Turn dough out into a lightly rice floured piece of 12x16 parchment paper.
- Pat dough into a rectangle. Dust the top of the dough lightly with rice flour.
- Place a second piece of 12x16 parchment paper on top of the dough. Roll dough out until it covers all of the paper. Dough rectangle should be about 1/8-inch thick.
- Carefully remove top piece of parchment paper. Transfer dough, with bottom parchment, to a 12x18 baking sheet.
- This isn't necessary for the pie crust since the graham crackers will be crushed but if you want to make actual graham crackers rectangles then score the dough into rectangles with a pizza wheel. For "standard" crackers they should be sized 6x2 3/4 inches.
- Prick dough all over with a fork. Chill dough for 10 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until evenly brown.
- Remove graham crackers from the sheet and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Allow crackers to cool completely. Break along scored lines.