|ph: sonia winesett|
I'm addicted to Instagram, constantly scrolling through gorgeous photos of pies and other culinary delights. I came across a post for a Tomato and Roasted Garlic Pie from @bonappetitmag and was immediately hooked. Today, I made a modified version of the savory pie and the above photo is the end result. One word - amazing! Here's the original recipe. I was short on time so I substituted the homemade cracker crust for a pre-made puff pastry. I couldn't find any Taleggio cheese in my local grocery stores so I used Sargento pre-shredded 4 Cheese Italian blend (Mozzarella, smoked provolone, Romano, and Asiago). I substituted the real mayonnaise for Smart Balance Light Mayonnaise. Instead of heirloom tomatoes I used what I had on hand which were tomatoes on the vine and a few campari tomatoes.
Tomato and Roasted Garlic Pie
1 sheet of ready-to-make puff pastry sheet, thawed
Flour for dusting to roll out puff pastry sheet
2.5 pounds tomatoes on the vine and camapri tomatoes, cored, sliced 1/4-inch thick
3 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided, plus more
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more
6 garlic cloves
2 Tbsp butter
8 ounces Sargento 4 Cheese Italian, shredded
2.5 ounces finely crumbled Parmesan (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp chopped thyme, plus 1/2 teaspoon leaves
1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 475°. Arrange tomatoes on a rimmed baking sheet, covering entire surface (it’s okay if they overlap). Drizzle with oil; season with salt and pepper. Roast until tomatoes begin to look dry on top, 25–30 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, cook garlic and butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, swirling often, until butter foams and milk solids turn golden, 5–8 minutes. Transfer garlic and toasty bits to a cutting board. Finely chop and set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°.
- Dust the counter with flour and roll out puff pastry sheet to fit in a 10-inch tart pan. Flute edges. Place in freezer until ready to use.
- Mix shredded 4 Cheese Italian blend, Parmesan, mayonnaise, chopped thyme, remaining ½ tsp. salt, remaining ¼ tsp. pepper, and reserved chopped garlic in a medium bowl. Gently dollop half of cheese mixture over bottom of crust, then spread into an even layer with an offset spatula. Layer half of tomato slices over and press down to even out layers. Repeat with remaining cheese mixture and tomatoes. Brush remaining garlic butter over tomatoes. Top with shallot, then scatter thyme leaves over.
- Bake pie until filling bubbles vigorously and crust is browned, 50-60 minutes. Let cool 1 hour before serving.