"Bring home the bacon"- To earn money, particularly for one's family; to be successful, especially financially successful.
Bacon Mushroom Onion Tart
4 strips of bacon, cooked and cut into small pieces
1 large onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
1 package of mushrooms, sliced
2 large eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
7 to 8 oz ricotta cheese
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 cup of grated Swiss and/or Gruyère cheese
9-inch Savory Tart Shell (recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 350º F (position rack in center of oven.)
- Cook strips of bacon in a large heavy skillet over medium-low heat until crispy. Let cool, then cut into small pieces.
- In the meantime, cook the onion in the bacon grease, season with salt and pepper and cook until onion is a deep golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Add mushrooms, cook together an additional 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Add bacon to the onion and mushroom mixture, then spread evenly in tart shell.
- Whisk eggs, ricotta cheese, cream and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in cheese. Pour mixture over filling in tart shell. Bake until tart is golden and center is set, about 40 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool 15 minutes before serving.
Savory Tart Shell
1 1/4 cups flour
1 tbsp plus 2 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp butter, diced
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, and salt. Cut the butter in with a pastry blender, for or two knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add one egg and mix with a fork until dough forms. If the dough doesn't come easily together, dump mixture onto counter and knead together.
- On a lightly floured surface (or between two sheets of plastic wrap), roll out the dough to a 12-inch circle. Place dough in 9-inch tart pan and press to remove any air bubbles. Cut excess dough from rim, and refrigerate for 30 minutes. No parbaking required.