Monday, October 18, 2010

I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE HOLE THING!

photo by jeana kwon

I don't normally blog about about doughnuts but Doughnut Plant in New York City is definitely worth a shout-out. My friend Jeana who has an insatiable sweet tooth led me to this Lower East Side gem located at 379 Grand Street for her favorite fried cakes - doughnuts. In 1994, owner Mark Isreal started the Doughnut Plant in the basement of a LES tenement building with his grandfather Herman's doughnut recipe. Before opening his own storefront in 2000, he made early morning bike deliveries to various bakeries and coffee shops in the city. The bakery churns out both yeast and cake doughnuts, ranging from glazed to jelly and creamed filled to specialty doughnuts like Tres Leches and Blackout (filled with chocolate pudding). They even offer square doughnuts. On the day we made our visit Pumpkin doughnuts were on the menu, which Jeana promptly ordered along with the Tres Leches. I opted for the French Valrohona Chocolate. I'm not exaggerating when I say that all the rounds were absolutely melt-in-your-mouth scrumptious.

No comments:

Post a Comment