Thursday, March 25, 2010

WATCH ME

via flickr

As a kid whenever I said, "I can't", as kids often do because I was tired, grumpy, or scared my father would always respond, "how do you know if don't even try". Back then that sort of logic only reinforced my belief that adults just didn't get what it was like to be a kid. If was easy for them because as grownups they could do whatever they wanted. Little did I know. The fact is the older we get, and the more responsibilities we take on, the less we can do whatever we want. So take it while you can.

I'm in awe of youth today. They're so creative and talented, with so many bright, cool ideas. They're no longer simply kids or teenagers, but artists, inventors, innovators, entrepreneurs, and philanthropists. They're not afraid to embrace life, tackle it if they have to in order to get the most from it. They haven't learned to be tired and jaded, with too much cynicism for their own good. Neither have they lost their optimism, or their ambitions. They pursue life with almost reckless abandon, with a determination that exceeds their age or experience. That's what I love most about young people, that innate confidence that doesn't allow them to question if they'll succeed. Failure just isn't an option. Even as another birthday comes barreling at me, I'm comforted in knowing that as long as I haven't lost my hunger and continue to gnaw at the marrow of life, then age is just a number. And in my heart, I'll always be at the peak of my life. Watch me.

A BITE OUT OF LIFE
There are several variations on Yum Yum Pie, most of which call for cream cheese, instant pudding, and Cool Whip. The idea is to create layers of deliciousness. You can substitute Cool Whip for the real thing but I like to make my own whipped cream.









Yum Yum Pie
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 stick butter, softened (room temp)
1 cup of nuts
8-oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup whipping cream, whipped
1 package (3.5-oz) chocolate instant pudding
1 package (3.5-oz) vanilla instant pudding
milk
  1. Lightly grease an 9-inch deep pie pan. Combine flour, butter, and nuts. Press firmly into pie pan. Bake at 350° F for 20 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
  2. Mix cream cheese and sugar thoroughly. Fold in whipped cream. Spread over cooled crust to make first layer.
  3. For second layer: mix pudding mixes and the amount of milk called for on package directions to make pie filling. Pour over cream cheese layer. Refrigerate until cool.
  4. Before serving, top with whipped cream, shaved chocolate and nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment