Friday, January 22, 2010

WANDERLUST

"We gotta go and never stop going till we get there."
"Where are we going, man?"
"I don't know but we gotta go."
- On the Road
I admit I have itchy feet. I'm dying to take a trip somewhere, anywhere. Wanderlust is a fever, "an ache for the distance", and I got it bad, real bad.


Here.

Always.

Somewhere else.

Photos by Dennis Stock, published as part of a "Kerouac Road" slide show at Slate.
1) California - The state border at Lake Tahoe, 1968 2) California - "The California Trip", 1968 3) United States - The open road for a motorcycle rider, 1971



On the Road

"My witness is the empty sky." - jack kerouac


"Whither goes thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?" - jack kerouac


"Everybody was yelling 'Go! Go! Go!'." - jack kerouac




ROAD RASH
Okay, I admit I'm sort of reaching here. But you try matching a pie recipe to a specific topic. This is an old Amish favorite, so named because of the cookie crumbs that bring to mind gravel roads (I could have just made up that last bit.)

Gravel Pie
1 - 9-inch prebaked pie shell
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup brown sugar OR malasses OR honey
1/2 cup hot water
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup cookie or cake crumbs (save some for last)
1/3 cup flour cut with 1/3 cup softened butter
1/2 to 1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ginger
  1. Preheat oven to 325° F. Sprinkle raisins into the bottom of the pie shell.
  2. Combine and cook in a double boiler: brown sugar (or molasses or honey), hot water, and eggs. Cool and pour into a pie shell over raisins.
  3. Sprinkle the following alternately over pie: cookie (or cake) crumbs (save some for last), the flour already cut with the butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
  4. Bake 20-30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment